2015 Show Display: 100 Years of Pyrex & Fostoria American
If you have ever been to our annual show & sale, you know our club gets pretty elaborate with the display area we create. 2015 in to exception. Since both Pyrex and the American pattern by the Fostoria Glass Company began production in 1915, 2015 marks their 100 year anniversary. In honor of that, we’ll be featuring this iconic glassware in our display. We’ve posted a potential sketch of what things might look like. The ratio will be roughly 2/3 Pyrex and 1/3 American. We are still in the planning stages of this and will update this page as additional information becomes available.
We’re also going to have some fun hands-on activities where you can test your knowledge of Pyrex patterns and what pieces of American are used for. More details to come!
In conjunction with the display, we are pleased to announce that we have two special guests joining us!
- Michael D. Barber has authored two amazing books titled Pyrex Passion and Pyrex Passion II. The first book details vintage decorated Pyrex (the classic opal glass items that were decorated with all kinds of amazing designs). while the second compiles all the information you need to know about dinner ware, beverage items, and storage containers. For more information about these books, check out the Pyrex Passion website.
- The Fostoria Glass Society of America will have information about their organization and its impressive museum. Visit their website for more information about the club. Rumor has it they will be bringing a metal mould that was used to make a piece of American!
- Pyrex’s official website has lots of great information about their 100th year.
- The Corelle Corner provides excellent resources including advertisements and brochures.
- Pyrex Passion has an excellent pictorial pattern reference page
Pyrex Media Coverage
There has been a lot of news coverage over the 100 year anniversary of Pyrex. Here are just a few articles. You can search “Pyres” on news.google.com to view more articles.
- The Wall Street Journal – June 25, 2015
- The New York Times – June 4, 2015
- The Denver Post – May 29, 2015
- The Detroit Free Press – May 2, 2015
- Daily Finance – February 11, 2015
- Portland Press Herald – October 22, 2014
Fostoria American Resources
Can’t tell if you have a piece of American or something else? Try one of the following resources: